- March 2008: Wife's Motorola Razr falls out of her pocket and into hot tub. We dry out the phone and it works.
- April 2008: Wife's phone won't charge. We deal with it by swapping batteries as we both have Motorola Razrs.
- May 2008: Wife's phone fails completely due to water damage. We're able to get a new phone at a discount (not full subsidized price, but better than full price) by renewing our contract for another two years.
- May 2009: I'm eligible to get subsidized price for iPhone 3G S and upgrade.
- June 2010: 2-year contract with AT&T signed in May 2008 is up, and wife has had her phone for 2 years, making both phone numbers eligible for upgrade.
Timing is everything, though I never figured a water damaged phone would somehow work to our advantage.